Next weeks planned demonstration will mark the 3rd public Silent Strike given that the military took power in February last year. In addition to the strike on Dec. 10, an across the country protest was also held on March 24, 2021. Prior to both strikes, the military made statements in all areas calling on people to go about their daily lives but stopped working to avoid the protests.
” According to the law, action can just be taken versus an individual if he or she commits a crime,” he stated. “How are they going to legally judge whether someone is taking part in a Silent Strike?
Myanmars military junta threatened to act versus anyone who participates in the “Silent Strike” to mark the one-year anniversary of the coup that put it in power, however members of the general public stated the demonstration would go forward as prepared.
Praising, beeping automobile horns or playing drums in support of the strike planned for Feb. 1 are acts punishable by approximately life jail time, according to a statement released by the junta on Tuesday. Property related to the cases can also be confiscated, the statement alerted.
Speaking with RFA on Tuesday, a local of Yangon named Lin Htet Aung said that the juntas risks suggest it is “scared” of a mass protest however said the public “will not pull back.”
” In the last silent demonstration, individuals throughout the country got involved of their own will. The military knocked down or smashed some stores that were closed. In the days that followed, store owners were not permitted to open them,” he stated.
” The junta hesitates that the entire public will be included. But no matter what declarations they make, I believe individuals will participate in this action.”
Last month, an across the country Silent Strike was hung on Dec. 10 to mark Human Rights Day in demonstration of the junta and its ruthless crackdown following the coup. The strike left many cities and towns empty as citizens stayed at home in uniformity.
Since deposing the democratically elected National League for Democracy in February, junta forces have eliminated nearly 1,500 civilians and detained more than 8,780– mostly during nonviolent demonstrations of military rule– and are engaged in numerous offensives against ethnic armed groups and anti-junta militias..
Wai Yan, a young student leader from the city of Mandalay, stated the juntas latest declaration against the strike constitutes a “infraction of human rights.”.
” As humans, we have the right to freely do what we desire. I might just wish to be alone and remain home, or I may desire to open or close my store,” he stated.
” The military council has violated human rights a lot of times. They will be cruel and wicked no matter what.”.
Win through cleverness.
Asked by RFA about the declaration, junta Deputy Information Minister Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun concurred that members of the public might exercise their standard rights if they do so “without jeopardizing security and public well-being.”.
” However, if the security or the wellness of individuals is impacted, it is no longer a fundamental right,” he said.
” This is a type of interruption of public order. That is why we are trying to stop what may disrupt daily commerce and trading. Disrupting socio-economic life is not an essential human right. These are forced creations. In fact, we are safeguarding the basic rights of the individuals.”.
But Thura Aung, an organizer of the Silent Strike in Mandalay, stated that the public will not back down in the face of junta intimidation.
” Im calling on the people to win through cleverness, rather than staying trembled in worry,” he said. “Its been almost a year that individuals have actually stood company for reality and [right] I think we will continue our revolt versus the junta steadfastly.”.
Next weeks prepared demonstration will mark the 3rd public Silent Strike given that the military took power in February last year. In addition to the strike on Dec. 10, an across the country protest was also held on March 24, 2021. Prior to both strikes, the military made announcements in all municipalities getting in touch with people to set about their lives however stopped working to avoid the demonstrations.
A legal representative in the industrial capital Yangon, who spoke with RFAs Myanmar Service on condition of anonymity mentioning security reasons, said authorities will have a tough time making a case for prosecution versus strike participants, a number of whom will reveal their opposition to military rule by just staying at home on Feb. 1.
” According to the law, action can just be taken versus an individual if he or she devotes a criminal offense,” he stated. “How are they going to lawfully evaluate whether somebody is taking part in a Silent Strike? … Some individuals may stay at home since they do not want to be ostracized by others if they go leave the house.”.
Reported by RFAs Myanmar Service. Equated by Khin Maung Nyane. Composed in English by Joshua Lipes.
( function( d, s, id)
(file, script, facebook-jssdk));.